UNIVERSITY OF COLOMBO SCHOOL OF COMPUTING (UCSC)
POST OF DIRECTOR
The Board of Management of the University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) invites applications for the Post of Director from suitably qualified and experienced persons to manage and lead the University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC). New appointment will be effective after the term of office of present incumbent ends on 31st May 2019.
The Director is a full-time officer of the School and is the Principal Executive Officer, Principal Academic Officer and the Principal Accounting Officer thereof. He/ She is an ex-officio member of its Board of Management and the Chairman of its Academic Syndicate. He/ She is also an ex-officio member of the Senate of the University of Colombo.
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing academic leadership, formulating, and implementing management policies and executing the decisions of the Board of Management. He/ She will be responsible for the general administration of the School and should therefore uphold the principles of academic excellence, transparency, accountability, democratic management and effective non-partisan leadership.
The successful candidate is expected to have a record of high academic achievement with the following skills, qualifications and experience;
- A clear understanding of policy issues pertaining to University education in the country in general, and the ethos, operating principles and the mission of the University of Colombo and the UCSC
- A PhD in Computer Sciences related fields with post doctoral teaching experience of at least 10 years
- Demonstrated leadership qualities and interpersonal skills to interact objectively with diverse interest groups, a clear understanding of policy issues in Information and Communications Technology, and a commitment to the effective implementation of decisions
- A proven research profile in Computer Science including publications in international refereed journals/proceedings.
- Evidence of having obtained competitive international funding and experience in attracting and handling externally funded projects
- Administrative/managerial/financial experience preferably in an university environment
- Experience of having initiated and managed local and international collaboration in information and communications technology
- Experience in handling academic programmes for large student numbers at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, including in external degree programmes and industry focused extension courses
- Experience in playing a significant role in the development of Information and Communications Technology at the university/national levels.
The Director is eligible to receive a salary, entertainment allowance and transport facilities as per Establishments Circular Letter No 13/2015 of University Grants Commission (UGC) and its subsequent amendments from time to time. Applicants are kindly requested to note that according to sub-section (2) of Section 6 of the University of Colombo School of Computing Ordinance, No. 01 of 2002, the Director shall, unless he/she vacates office earlier or is removed from office under sub-section (3) of this Section, hold office for a term of three years or until he/she has completed his/her 65th year, whichever event occurs earlier.
Applications must include complete Curriculum Vitae with contact details, a statement outlining the applicant’s Vision for the development of the School and a brief account of what the applicant proposes to achieve if he/she is appointed to the Post of Director.
Such applications may sent under registered post to reach the Deputy Registrar, University of Colombo School of Computing, No. 35, Reid Avenue, Colombo 07 on or before 06th February 2019. Applicants are advised to indicate on the top left-hand corner of the envelop “Application for the Post of Director”. Incomplete Applications or illegible or do not comply above directions or received after the closing date will be rejected.
Secretary to the Board of Management
University of Colombo School of Computing
35, Reid Avenue,
08th January 2019