The Professional Development Centre (PDC) of the UCSC was set up to keep a close liaison with IT industry and to improve the academic programmes through industry partnership. The PDC primarily concentrates on improving professional skills of the staff and the internal students, industrial placements and visits for internal undergraduates and promoting inter-cultural harmony. The mission of the Professional Development Centre (PDC) of the UCSC is to produce Computing graduates’ having extra-curricular skills such as professional skills, business skills, communication skills, community service skills, innovative capacity and entrepreneurship to pursue successful careers thereby contributing to the socio-economic development of Sri Lanka.
Industry sessions conducted by professionals on technologies and practices currently being applied in the industry. Students in their 3rd year of undergraduate study are required to participate these sessions to get an idea on the skills they should acquire before joining the industry.
Industrial Placement Program
A 5-6 months program, where the students will be placed in different IT companies (registered under UCSC internship program) to give the exposure on practical use of the knowledge they have acquired from the university curriculum. At the end of this period students will be evaluated on their progress / achievements.
Industrial Placement Monitoring Program
A team from UCSC will visit the places where the interns are placed after 2/3 months of their internship. During this visit UCSC will get the opportunity to monitor the progress of the interns and to discuss any issues in the perspective of student/company.
Activities carried out during 2018
- Placement of 238 undergraduate students in 69 companies
- Organized mock interviews using industry representatives for final year students
- Organized the carrier fair 2018 for students for all final year students
- carried out industry placement evaluation sessions with industry participation
- Organize the evaluation of students and placement to select the best placement of 2018 for the annual convocation
- Organized Tech Talks from recognized companies to students on following topics during the first half of 2018.
- Organized in-house industrial workshop collaborative with ISM APAC (PVT) LTD.
- Visited the companies whom offered internship opportunities for the students.
Dr. (Mrs.) Lasanthi .N. C. De Silva – Lecturer
Ms. Lakshika Nanayakkara – Lecturer (Prob)
Ms. Waruni Samarawickrama – Project Officer
Professional Development Centre,
University of Colombo School of Computing,
35, Reid Avenue ,Colombo 7
+94 -011-2158912 / 2158969