e-Learning Centre (eLC) is one of the six centres of the University of Colombo School of Computing. Its main goal is to facilitate the digital transformation of teaching-learning process by integrating e-learning practices. Although it is a service centre of the UCSC to support undergraduate, postgraduate and external and extension degree programmes, it has become a national centre during last decade by providing services to both local and international organizations (www.e-learning.lk). eLC has a dedicated staff and conducts research and development work in e-Learning. On behalf of UCSC, e-Learning Centre is willing to undertake assignments in the domain of e-learning.
- To improve the electronic learning infrastructure of the UCSC.
- To conduct research and development in e-learning to enhance the quality of education within UCSC and to extend the education to masses.
- To spread the culture of electronic education to produce high quality blended learning courses.
- To offer flexible learning possibilities in degree programmes.
- To make information, learning activities and study materials available online for learners.
- To diversify the study process and make it more interesting, efficient and contemporary.
- To facilitate the cooperation of other local universities as well as to promote international cooperation.
- Maintaining the virtual learning environment (VLE) of UCSC, known as “ViduPiyasa”.
- Links of UCSC Virtual Campus:
- For internal undergraduate http://ugvle.ucsc.cmb.ac.lk (around 1000 students)
- For external undergraduates http://vle.bit.lk (around 6000 students)
- For postgraduate students http://pgvle.ucsc.cmb.ac.lk (around 500 students)
- Developing and maintaining an online e-Testing system to carry out large scale online testing.
- Developing and maintaining a separate VLE to improve Information Technology (IT) foundation of all new students. This is known as FIT (Foundation in Information Technology) – http://fit.bit.lk/vle .
- Designing and developing interactive content for teaching, learning and assessment for the online courses hosted in the VLEs.
- Providing online guidance, also known as e-Facilitation, for the BIT and FIT online courses.
- Conducting several research and development work (R&D) in e-Learning to find solutions which can be applied in the local context.
- Providing consultancy, content development and training services for other faculties of University of Colombo and other universities of Sri Lanka and for the private sector as well.
- 30 online courses available in the http://vle.bit.lk for the BIT degree programme
- 218 online courses available in the http://ugvle.ucsc.cmb.ac.lk for the Internal undergraduate degree programmes
- 75 online courses available in the http://pgvle.ucsc.cmb.ac.lk for the postgraduate degree programmes
- 11 online courses available in the http://fit.bit.lk/vle for the FIT certificate programme
- 40 online courses available in the http://www.e-learning.lk/vle for the general public with interactive online content and online assessments.
Dr. D.D. Karunaratne BSc (Col), MSc (Swansea), PhD (Cardiff), (Senior Lecturer Gr. I)
- K.M.G.B. Nishakumari BSc (Col) , BIT (Col), MSc (Edinburgh) (Scientific Assistant Grade II) (Team Leader)
- M.B.P. Disanayake (Instructional Designer)
- G.N.M. Gangodawila (Junior Instructional Designer)
- H.L.P.M. Madhushanka (Assistant LMS Administrator)
- K.K.A. Nishanthi (Content Developer)
- R.M. Nuwan Dammika (Content Developer)