E-Learning Centre (eLC) is one of the six centers of the University Of Colombo School Of Computing. Its main goal is to facilitate the digital transformation of teaching-learning process by integrating e-learning practices. Although it is a service Centre of the UCSC to support undergraduate, postgraduate and external and extension degree programmes, it has become a national Centre during the last decade by providing services for both local and international organizations (www.e-learning.lk). eLC has a dedicated staff who conducts research and development work in e-Learning. On behalf of UCSC, e-Learning Centre is willing to undertake assignments in the domain of e-learning.
- To improve the electronic learning infrastructure of the UCSC
- To conduct research and development in e-learning to enhance the quality of education within UCSC and to extend the education to masses
- To spread the culture of electronic education to produce high quality blended learning courses
- To offer flexible learning possibilities in degree programmes
- To make information, learning activities and study materials available online for learners
- To diversify the study process and make it more interesting, efficient and contemporary
- To facilitate the cooperation of other local universities as well as to promote international cooperation
Activities conducted during 2018
- Maintained the following virtual learning environments for undergraduate, external and postgraduate under the theme “ViduPiyasa” [UCSC Virtual Campus]
- Carried out online e-Testing for Enhancement courses of BIT degree programme (more than 2000 students)
- Carried out online e-Testing for Introduction to Entrepreneurship Course (more than 1000 students)
- Maintained a special VLE instance for final year projects of BIT students (http://vle.bit.lk/projects) (more than 700 students)
- Managed the online learning programme “Foundation in Information Technology” (FIT) via http://fit.bit.lk/vle, as the foundation programme in ICT.
- Developed interactive content for teaching, learning and assessment for the online courses hosted in the VLEs.
- Provided an online guidance, also known as e-Facilitation, for the BIT and FIT online courses.
- Carried out online selection and recruitment tests for public and private organizations (KPMG, University of Colombo)
- Maintained the public online learning portal for Free and Open Education – http://www.e-learning.lk/vle which consists of more than 40 free courses
- Supported conducting “blended learning” workshops for other faculties in the University of Colombo as capacity development programmes under the UNESCO Funded Blended Learning Project of the University of Colombo.
Activities conducted during 2019
- 30 online courses available in the http://vle.bit.lk for the BIT degree programme
- 218 online courses available in the http://ugvle.ucsc.cmb.ac.lk for the Internal undergraduate degree programmes
- 75 online courses available in the http://pgvle.ucsc.cmb.ac.lk for the postgraduate degree programmes
- 11 online courses available in the http://fit.bit.lk/vle for the FIT certificate programme
- 40 online courses available in the http://www.e-learning.lk/vle for the general public with interactive online content and online assessments.
- Dr. Ms. T.A. Weerasinghe – BSc(Col), PGDip, MSc(Col), PhLic(Stockholm), PhD(Stockholm) (Senior Lecturer )
- Ms. K.M.G.B. Nishakumari BSc (Col) , BIT (Col), MSc (Edinburgh) (Scientific Assistant Grade II) (Team Leader)
- Ms. K.K. Amila Nishanthi (Content Developer)
- Ms. M.B.P. Disanayake (Instructional Designer)
- Ms. P.H Thilakaratne (Management Assistant)
- Ms. L.H.I Dilshani (Instructional Designer)
- Mr. G.S. Hettiarachchi (LMS Administrator/Software Engineer)
- Mr. T.W.D Lakshan (Instructor/LMS Administrator)