E-Learning Centre (eLC) is one of the six centers of the University Of Colombo School Of Computing. Its main goal is to facilitate the digital transformation of teaching-learning process by integrating e-learning practices. Although it is a service Centre of the UCSC to support undergraduate, postgraduate and external and extension degree programmes, it has become a national Centre during the last decade by providing services for both local and international organizations (www.e-learning.lk). eLC has a dedicated staff who conducts research and development work in e-Learning. On behalf of UCSC, e-Learning Centre is willing to undertake assignments in the domain of e-learning.
- To improve the electronic learning infrastructure of the UCSC
- To conduct research and development in e-learning to enhance the quality of education within UCSC and to extend the education to masses
- To spread the culture of electronic education to produce high quality blended learning courses
- To offer flexible learning possibilities in degree programmes
- To make information, learning activities and study materials available online for learners
- To diversify the study process and make it more interesting, efficient and contemporary
- To facilitate the cooperation of other local universities as well as to promote international cooperation
Activities conducted during 2018
- Maintained the following virtual learning environments for undergraduate, external and postgraduate under the theme “ViduPiyasa” [UCSC Virtual Campus]
- Carried out online e-Testing for Enhancement courses of BIT degree programme (more than 2000 students)
- Carried out online e-Testing for Introduction to Entrepreneurship Course (more than 1000 students)
- Maintained a special VLE instance for final year projects of BIT students (http://vle.bit.lk/projects) (more than 700 students)
- Managed the online learning programme “Foundation in Information Technology” (FIT) via http://fit.bit.lk/vle, as the foundation programme in ICT.
- Developed interactive content for teaching, learning and assessment for the online courses hosted in the VLEs.
- Provided an online guidance, also known as e-Facilitation, for the BIT and FIT online courses.
- Carried out online selection and recruitment tests for public and private organizations (KPMG, University of Colombo)
- Maintained the public online learning portal for Free and Open Education – http://www.e-learning.lk/vle which consists of more than 40 free courses
- Supported conducting “blended learning” workshops for other faculties in the University of Colombo as capacity development programmes under the UNESCO Funded Blended Learning Project of the University of Colombo.
- 30 online courses available in the http://vle.bit.lk for the BIT degree programme
- 218 online courses available in the http://ugvle.ucsc.cmb.ac.lk for the Internal undergraduate degree programmes
- 75 online courses available in the http://pgvle.ucsc.cmb.ac.lk for the postgraduate degree programmes
- 11 online courses available in the http://fit.bit.lk/vle for the FIT certificate programme
- 40 online courses available in the http://www.e-learning.lk/vle for the general public with interactive online content and online assessments.
- Dr. Ms. T.A. Weerasinghe – BSc(Col), PGDip, MSc(Col), PhLic(Stockholm), PhD(Stockholm) (Senior Lecturer )
- Ms. K.M.G.B. Nishakumari BSc (Col) , BIT (Col), MSc (Edinburgh) (Scientific Assistant Grade II) (Team Leader)
- Ms. K.K. Amila Nishanthi (Content Developer)
- Ms. M.B.P. Disanayake (Instructional Designer)
- Ms. P.H Thilakaratne (Management Assistant)
- Ms. L.H.I Dilshani (Instructional Designer)
- Mr. G.S. Hettiarachchi (LMS Administrator/Software Engineer)
- Mr. T.W.D Lakshan (Instructor/LMS Administrator)