The MCS/MSc in CS Programmes is designed for graduates with a Computing degree who wish to acquire a postgraduate qualification in Computer Science. This intensive programme in Computer Science provides specialized theoretical and practical knowledge for graduates of the same discipline. While enhancing knowledge, this also provides a stepping stone for further research in the field. The applicants shall choose level 9 degree of Sri Lanka Qualification Framework (SLQF), Master of Computer Science, or SLQF level 10 degree Master of Science in Computer Science depending on their performance in the first year of study.
Duration: Two year part time course of four semesters (15 weeks per semester)
Lectures will be held on Fridays 5.30 pm – 7.30 pm and Saturdays 8.30 am-5.30 pm.
- A Degree in Computing from a recognized University or,
- Any other academic or professional qualification judged equivalent to a degree in Computing by the Senate of the University of Colombo
The students are required to complete 25 credits and obtain a minimum GPA of 2.00 in the first year to proceed to the second year of study. Candidates who obtain a minimum GPA of 2.00 and complete 25 credits may opt to obtain Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science (SLQF Level 8) as an exit point. The Â candidates who obtain a minimum GPA of 2.5 and complete 25 credits in their first year are eligible to be registered for either the Master of Science in Computer Science (SLQF level 10) or Master of Computer Science (SLQF level 9). Those who are qualified for the second year of study but have a GPA less than 2.5, are eligible to be registered for Master of Computer Science.
Course Fee :
- 450,000 for Master of Computer Science (candidates are required to pay Rs. 337,500 at the first year registration and the balance Rs. 112,500 at the beginning of second year if they satisfy the minimum requirements to continue to the second year).
- 500,000 for Master of Science in Computer Science (candidates are required to pay Rs. 337,500 at the first year of registration and the balance Rs. 162,500 at the beginning of second year if they satisfy the minimum requirements to continue to the second year)
Course fees for Foreign Candidates
- SAARC Countries: US$ 3850(MCS) and US$4000(MSc in CS)
- Non SAARC Countries: US$ 4400(MCS) and 4550 (MSc in CS)
Compulsory Course Units
- Advanced Algorithms
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Advanced Database Systems
- Selected Topics in Computer Science
- Principals of programming Languages
- Information systems Security
- Advanced Concepts in Data Communications Networks
- Data Analytics and Machine Learning
- Theoretical Computing
Compulsory Course Units
- Intelligent Systems
- Systems Modeling & Simulation
- Cognitive Systems
- Digital Signal Processing
- Individual Research Project (Master of Science in Computer Science)
- Individual Project (Master of Computer Science)
Optional Course Units
- Software Project Management and Quality Assurance
- Natural Algorithms
- Distributed Systems
- Mobile Computing
- Enterprise Web Architecture
- Image Processing and vision
- Advance Computer Graphics and Gaming
- Bio Informatics
- Research Methods(**compulsory module for Master of Science in Computer Science)
It is hereby informed that the above information is only for general information and is not for official purposes. Any information contained herein shall be confirmed by reference to the relevant authority.