In order to create interest among students in the fields of programming, technology, robotics etc various competitions are organsied. There is no participation fees so it does not cost you financially to take part. Following are among some of them.
National Best Quality ICT Awards (NBQSA formerly National Best Quality Software Awards) organised by the BCS the Chartered Institute for IT – Sri Lanka section is held annually for Tertiarary Student Projects since 2003. This Award is presented to the most innovative ICT software and/or hardware project from students of Institutions of Higher Learning. Any ICT project that is conducted by a student or a group of students who are formally enrolled in an institution of higher-learning, such as college or university, excluding Master and Doctorate programs can take part at NBQSA. Evaluation is conducted in stages, where first round is usually held at the applicant’s university and the final round held centrally, mostly at UCSC. Top three student projects are recognised as Gold, Silver and Bronze and are nominated and funded partially or fully to take part at APICTA (Asia Pacific ICT Awards). Most of the final round applicants receive awards (i.e. at least Merit Award). Following are past winners from University of Colombo.
|2006||Tertiary: Nuwan Senaratna, “Automatic Music Composition using a Tree of Emergeul System”.|
|2010||Education & Training Category: Vidusayura -A Virtual Learning and Training Environment for Maritime Education by staff|
|2013||Overall Award – “SIYARA” Harbour VTMS (New dimension in Port Traffic management) by staff|
|2013||Research & Development Category: SIYARA – Harbour VTMS (New dimension in Port Traffic management) by staff|
|2013||Tertiary (Business): Roshan Rajapakse, A.K. Madugalla, P.I.U. Amarasinghe & V.H. Padmathilake, “FaceID: A Facial Muscle Anatomy Based Solution For Forensic Facial Reconstruction in Sri Lanka”.|
|2014||Tertiary (Business): Praneeth Nilanga Peiris; Milan Harindu Perera; Milindu Sanoj Kumarage; Dhanushka Chandana of University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) for â€œta.lk â€“ Public Complaining Systemâ€|
|2015||e-Health: University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) and Monash University Malaysia â€“ Run Tropica: An active video game based virtual rehabilitation system for children with brain injuriesâ€ Â byÂ staff|
|2008||Tertiary: M.R.A.P.P Wijesekara, “COMONet: Community mobile network”.|
|2010||Healthcare Applications Category: Vidusuwa -A Patient-centric Telemedicine Solution by staff|
|2012||Tertiary: Dinuni Fernando, Chandima Fernando, C. Pankajan, Sahan Udana, Dilini Asanga, Samitha Udalagama, Lumini Sahabandu and Lasantha Samarakoon, “TrafficMate”.|
|2012||Research & Development Category: Field Artillery Simulation System (FASS)Â Â byÂ staff withÂ Centre for Research and Development (CRD) under Ministry of Defence|
|2003||Tertiary: Ms. Jayani P. Karunaratne, “Open Source text-to-speech for Sinhala”.|
|2004||Tertiary: Prabath Gunawardane, “Semi Immersive Virtual Environment”.|
|2006||Tertiary: Ms. Seshika Fernando, “Trusted Cheque Protocol”.|
|2008||Tertiary: Ms. T. Priyadharshani, “Web media agent”.|
|2010||Overall Award – Vidusayura -A Virtual Learning and Training Environment for Maritime Education by Staff|
|2010||Education & Training Category: SCORM Based Online Assessment Objects for Computing Skill Evaluation byStaff of the UCSC|
|2013||Tertiary (Technology):Â Y.M Kalindu Priyadarshana, “Sensing Environment Through Mobile : A Personalized Wearable Obstacle Detection System for Visually Impaired”.|
|2014||Tertiary (Business): Ganesh Weerathunga Wakista; Sachie Jayodya Abhayarathne; Gihan Timantha Mendis of University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) for â€œAlco tracker: Recognizing Level of alcohol intoxication in Sri Lankans through changes in suprasegmental effects and reaction timeâ€|
|2014||University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) for â€œRailway Train Traffic Optimization by Staff|
|2015||Tertiary (Business): of University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) for â€œEffective Utilization of Nitrogen Fertilizer in Paddy Cultivationâ€|
|2015||Tertiary (Technology): W.O.K.A.S. Wijesinghe of University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) for â€œAutogenous Diabetic Retinopathy Censor for Ophthalmologists â€“ ‘AKSHI’â€|
|2015||Education & Training: University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) and CRD Ministry of Defence for â€œK-8 Flight Simulatorâ€ Â byÂ staff|
|2003||Tertiary:Â Sanjika Hewavitharana, “Sinhala Handwriting Recognition”.|
|2003||Tertiary:Â Anura Indika Athukorala, “Â Tiny Internet Interface (TINI) – Electricity Power Monitoring System”.|
|2003||Tertiary:Â W.G.Dulan M. Wathugala, “Sinhala Finger Spelling Interpretation – Talking Hands”.|
|2003||Tertiary:Â D. Navinda D. Kottege, “Virtual Robot Arm Control Model”, Physics & BIT.|
|2004||Tertiary:Â Umesha Lakmal Perera, “Sinhala Text to Sign Language Translator”.|
|2004||Tertiary:Â Tyronne Silva, “Speaker Search for Multimedia Data Objects”.|
|2004||Tertiary:Â Prabhath Deepal Hasantha Attidiya, “Student Registration & Examination”- Post Graduate.|
|2005||Tertiary:Â Deva Prabha Siri Kularathna, “A Mobile ECG Monitoring System”.|
|2005||Tertiary:Â S. Sivaparan, “An SMS Email Reader”.|
|2006||Tertiary:Â Isuruwan Herath, “Fuzzy Rule Based Intelligent Traffic Control System”.|
|2007||Tertiary:Â V. Anushan,Â “Distributed Network Address Translation”.|
|2010||Tertiary:Â Kasun Tharaka,Â “Nivarana -Transforming Information to action in Communicable Disease Surveillance”.|
|2010||Research & Development Category: eNOSHA, a Free Open Source Learning Object repository by Staff of e-Learning Centre|
|2012||Tertiary:Â R.M. Gihan B. Wijerathne,Â “OWPS – Open Wave Propagation Simulator”.|
|2013||Research & Development Category: Content Based Audio Music Monitoring Approach for Singhala Songs byÂ Staff|
|2013||Tertiary (Technology):Â Shyama Chandani, Dawpadee Kiriella, Kavindu Ranasinghe,Â “Swaraloka (Adaptive Music Score Trainer for Visually Impaired in Sri Lanka)”|
|2013||Tertiary (Business): Nadira Tharanga Perera, Manori Madubhashini Wijesooriya, Induni Shyamika Wijerathne,Â “ICT Based Education for Students with Special Educational Needs”|
|2013||Tertiary (Business):Â Suranga D. W. Gunawardhane, Pasan M. De Silva, Dayan S.B. Kulathunga,Â “Non Invasive Human Stress Detection Using Key Stroke Dynamics and Pattern Variations”|
|2014||Tertiary (Technology): Yasasri Sampath of University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) for â€œObstacle Classification through Acoustic Echolocationâ€|
|2014||Tertiary (Technology): T.S.R. Peiris; R.A. Amarasinghe; L.K. Sivaganeshan; T.L. Senavirathna; G.M. Priyankara of University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) for â€œSensâ€|
|2014||Tertiary (Business): University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) for â€œSastharaâ€|
|2014||University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC) for â€œTikiriDBâ€ by Staff|
|2011||Tertiary: H P D Jayathilaka, N Kularathne and E A D I Embuldeniya, “Business Cloud for SMEs”.|
The Asia Pacific ICT Awards (APICTA) provide networking and product benchmarking opportunities to ICT innovators and entrepreneurs in the region. The program is designed to stimulate ICT innovation and creativity, promote economic and trade relations, facilitate technology transfer, and offer business matching opportunities via exposure to venture capitalists and investors. APICTA is hosted by one of the member countries. APICTA recognise the Winner of each category. Merit awards are sometimes awarded. Sri Lanka has participated in APCITA since 2003. First APICTA was held in 2001. Winners of NBQSA are nominated to participate at APICTA. Following are past winners/participants fromÂ University of Colombo.
|2006||Nuwan Senaratna, “Automatic Music Composition using a Tree of Emergeul System”, held in Macau.|
|2008||M.R.A.P.P Wijesekara, “COMONet: Community mobile network”, held in Jakarta Indonesia.|
|2010||Vidusayura an e-Learning product by Staff of the UCSC, held in Malaysia.|
|2013||Y.M Kalindu Priyadarshana, “Sensing Environment Through Mobile : A Personalized Wearable Obstacle Detection System for Visually Impaired” held in Hong Kong.|
|2015||W.O.K.A.S. Wijesinghe – Autogenous Diabetic Retinopathy Censor for Ophthalmologists â€“ â€œAKSHIâ€ held in Sri Lanka|
Imagine Cup is an annual competition sponsored and hosted by Microsoft Corp. which brings together young technologists worldwide to help resolve some of the world’s toughest challenges. Imagine Cup has several categories, such as Software Design, Embedded Development, Web Development, Project Hoshimi, IT Challenge, Algorithm, Photography, Short Film, Interface Design. Â Winner of the local country event participate at the international event. 2013 local event finals will be held at UCSC. Following are past participants from University of Colombo.
|WINNER – Games category|
|2014||Buddhi Senarathne, Manidu Wijewickrama, Praveen Samarakone and Sandaruwan Gunasinghe: Fat and Thin Studios “Bird Academy”.|
|2015||Second runners-up â€“ Â the OOPS Creators, representing the University of Colombo School of Computing|
|WINNER – Software Design|
|2010||Gayan Garusinghe, Sudam Liyanage, Chanaka Upendra and Hasini Adhikari.|
|WORLD FINALIST – Short Film|
|2007||Jayanath Galahitigama, Tharaka Jayasekara, Ishara Perera and Isura Sandaruwan.|
|1st RUNNERS-UP – World Citizenship category|
|2014||Yasith Kanchana Lokuge (Team Leader), Prashan Madumal, Tharindu Kumara, Deshan Ranasinghe: Techsurge “Navisys”.|
|2nd RUNNERS-UP – Innovation category|
IEEEXtreme is a global challenge in which teams of IEEE student members â€“ supported by an IEEE Student Branch, advised and proctored by an IEEE member â€“ compete in a 24-hour time span against each other to solve a set of programming problems.
UCSC students first took part at this competition in 2011 (IEEEXtreme 5.0). It was a learning process for them where the top team was placed 39th in the country, 77 in the R10 region and 216 world wide. All together 13 teams competed part from UCSC. Subsequent years we saw increased interest among the students. 2014 (IEEEXtreme 8.0) saw 2,250 teams worldwide from 71 countries.
|Year||Country Rank||R10 Rank||World Rank||Teams (Students)|
Google Summer of Code is a global program that offers post-secondary student developers ages 18 and older stipends to write code for various open source software projects. We have worked with open source, free software, and technology-related groups to identify and fund projects over a three month period. 2011 was the first instance of participation. One student successully completed the 2012 event.
The e-Swabhimani is an initiative of the Information Communication technology agency of Sri Lanka aimed at recognizing excellence in digital content creation. It is expected that this national award would stimulate a greater interest in the development of a wide range of content and services that would serve the needs of society. The e-Swabhimani was launched in 2009. The e-Swabhimani Award process is being conducted along the lines of the World Summit Award and has input from the Digital Empowerment Foundation if India as the Knowledge Partner to ensure that the jury process conforms to international standards. The award is a stepping stone to other regional and international awards with all short listed submissions being nominated to the Manthan Award South Asia.
- 2010 e-Health category: produced by 4th year ICTÂ studentÂ Asanga WickramasingheÂ together with the Epidemiology Unit of the Ministry of Health, Sri Lankain under the supervision of Dr. Risintha Premaratne, Consultant Epidemiologist of the Epidemiology Unit, Ministry of Health & Dr. Shiromi Arunatilake.
- 2010 e-Inclusion category: Project by Staff of theÂ Language Technology Research Laboratory of the UCSC.
- 2012Â e-Science and Technology category: Facial Muscle Anatomy based approach for Forensic Facial Reconstruction in Sri Lanka a standardalone system in English produced by 4th year ICT students of the UCSC, namely: Roshan Rajapakse, A.K. Madugalla, P.I.U. Amarasinghe & V.H. Padmathilake together with the Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Sri Jayewardenepura under the supervision of Dr. A.T. Dharmaratne &Â Mr. K.D. Sandaruwan.
- 2012 e-Science and Technology category: Field Artillery Simulation System (FASS) a standardalone system in EnglishÂ produced by Staff together with the Centre for Research and Development, Ministry of Defense, School of Artillery.
- 2014 e-Science and Technology category: ‘Siyara’ Harbour Vessel Traffic Management System produced by Staff
- 2014 e-Inclusion and Participation category for Swaraloka produced by 4th year ICT students of the UCSC, namely: Shyama Chandani, Dawpadee Kiriella, Kavindu Ranasinghe under the supervision of Dr. K.L. Jayaratne.
- 2010Â e-learning and Education category: Shikshaka project by the staff of the Language Technology Research Laboratory of the UCSC.
- 2014 e-Government and institutions category for Title Registration System produced by Software Deveopment Unit of the UCSC.
Certificate of Appreciation
- 2010 e-learning and Education category: VLE Open Learning project by the staff of the e-Learning Centre.
- 2012 eLearning and Education category:Â ICT based Education for students with Special Educational needs an offline system in Sinhala produced by 4th year ICT students of the UCSC, namely: M.D. Nadira Tharanga Perera, T.G. Induni Shamika, Dilrukshi WijeratneÂ and D.P. Manori Madhubhashini Wijesooriya under the supervision of Dr. A.T. Dharmaratne & Dr. A.R. Weerasinghe.
- 2012 e-Entertainment and Games category: Saasthara aÂ Facebook appsÂ in Sinhala produced by 2nd year students of the UCSC, namely: K.H. Madusha Kumarasiri & S.M.D.R. Subasinghe.
- 2009 e-Health category: Vidusuwa – A Patient Centric e-Health Solution for a Developing Country by Staff
- 2014 – E-Inclusion & Accessibilty – Swaraloka: Adaptive Music Score Trainer for Visually Impaired in Sri Lanka by Staff
- 2014 – E-Science & Technology – â€œSIYARAâ€ Harbour VTMS (New dimension in Port Traffic management) by Staff
- 2015 e-Entertainment & Games – Sangeethalya.lk by Staff
- 2015 E-Health – Run Tropica by Staff
- 2010 e-Culture & Heritage category:Â Shikshaka: A Framework for Bridging the Language GapÂ Â produced by theÂ staffÂ of the Language Technology Research Laboratory of the UCSC.
- 2014 m-Education & Learning category: Sipsala – Sipsala is an e mobile (Windows Phone 8.1) educational application for primary and secondary school children in Sri Lanka. It contains text books from all the subjects they learn at the school in grade one to eleven. The most remarkable feature of this mobile application is, it supports all three main languages in Sri Lanka, Sinhala, English and Tamil. Sipsala is an offline mobile application so students in the rural areas also can use this without an internet connection. User Interfaces are designed considering colour psychology and best for an educational application by Yasith Lokuge
The World Summit Award (WSA) is a global activity to select and promote the world’s best e-Content and most innovative ICT applications. It offers a worldwide platform for all who value the creative use of ICTs and who are committed to making todayâ€™s information society more inclusive. The World Summit Award Mobile first took placed in 2010 to honour excellence in m-Content and innovative application creation. The Grand Jury selects 40 winnersÂ of the eight WSA-mobile categories. WSA was started as an initiative by the Republic of Austria as a contribution to the United Nations World Summit on Information Society (WSIS) Â and is Â organised by the International Center for New Media (ICNM) in Salzburg.
This competition is held since in 2010 and is organized by SLASSCOM and Motorola Solutions. It involves training programmes conducted by the staff of the Motorola Solutions and runs over a period of 6-7 months. Competition focus on building human resource capacity in Mobile Technologies; develop entrepreneurial skills; and promote innovation among students by exposing their innovative and creative skills.
- 2013 – 1st Runners-up for Automated Guided Wheelchair by Yasith Lokuge, Prashan Madumal, Tharindu Kumara & N. Ranasinghe
This competition was introduced in 2012 for undergraduates studying at all the state universities and Advanced Technological Institutes which are under the purview of Ministry of Higher Education. It promotes creative artistic talents by giving opportunities for the educated generation to develop, present and display their numerous artistic talents.
- 2012/13 – 3rd Place Mr. Harsha Dilshan Perera (2010/ICT/032) – Electronic Media – Creative Television Broadcaster of The Year